Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Nutrition in Cancer


I just came back from seeing my patient with liver cancer who had just had a t-tube placed due to the blockage of the bile ducts. He is still weak from the surgery and the hospitalization. In fact, I felt a sense of desperation on his part, mainly because he is usually strong and up and about even after being with the liver cancer and all for the past 5 years.

I think its fantastic that this person is able to deal with it sans despair, until now. So I had to talk and coerce him to take things one at a time and give his body enough time to recover. Of course, as we age, our recovery time lengthens, what more if he has cancer.

What was striking was the fact that one of his doctors told him he can only have 3 eggs /week!! I was aghast!!! He is a vegetarian so where else aside from beans can he get the necessary protein? Eggs have one of the most complete set of nutrition that is easily available. He doesn't have high cholesterol, my god, he is suffering from malnutrition.

I wish that the doctors will re evaluate their philosophies (note not knowledge coz most physicians aren't well versed in nutrition) and update the current thinking with real hard facts.

I remember a patient told me that his pediatrician told her to stop taking omega 3 oil because she was breast feeding (another jaw opener) My reply was, if thats the case, then why in the world is Omega 3 specifically DHA incorporated in infants' formula?

My wish is that at least the doctors will start reading rather than listening to med reps!

No comments: