Sunday, February 25, 2007

Experience is the Best

When I was just a "new, out-of-the box, ready to take the world" doctor, I felt that I know whatever there is to learn about medicine and taking care of people. I expected and felt that I can be as good, and maybe "even better" than other doctors (how stupid and arrogant).

Everything there is to learn is in the books, journals, websites and all the places that doctors read to be abreast with the current medical practices.

Until, finally with only more than 7 years of practive and a few hundreds of patients, I realized what I have not learned in the books, lecture halls, workshops, and dissections.
The human face of medicine and treating patients. It's not about science, it about art. Merging the science with the art of "healing patients."

That's what you don't learn and what they don't teach you in school.

Before I use to wonder, how come this doctor has so many patients when you look at their academic and clinical skills, it is at par with everyone else, and yet another doctor who has had several papers he authored appeared in prestigious journals, have flies as his regular patients?

Last few days, I somehow felt that now I know what it was that separated the good doctors from the "popular doctors". The art of talking, reassuring and making sure patients are satisfied with all their concerns while at the same time, using the science of medicine in alleviating the problems patients have,and expecting the troubles ahead of time.

1 comment:

Dr. A said...

Great points. BTW, thanks so much for the link. I've added you to my link list as well. Keep up the great work!