Sunday, February 18, 2007

Lost voices

This is the second time in less than a month where in I have had the opportunity to see 2 patients with lung cancer who have lost their voices. Both of whom are very much eager to gain their voice and be able to be "normal" again.

It must be hard to have a diagnosis of cancer and even harder of not having a voice and be able to communicate what they want and what they want to say to their loved ones.

Just had a talk with one of my previous patient with lung cancer stage IV. She is not walking anymore due to the metastasis to her spine, but she is still strong and fighting. I am amazed at her inner strength and emotional stability. Likewise, the strong family support that she is getting.

This is so opposite the lung cancer patient with brain metastasis, whose wife is so negative and and unbelieving in what we are trying
to achieve for her husband.  Even if she doesn't believe what we are doing, I will understand and accept.
But to see that she doesn't even help with what his husband is going through, that for me is unacceptable.

Cancer support is the most important thing a patient needs. Loneliness, despair, anxiety and worry adds exponentially to an already stressed individual. I have seen time and time again, how the family acts and support their loved ones from a disease, will somehow predict their survival.

My next step is to form a cancer support group. I hope and wish that we can make it happen at the soonest possible time.

No comments: